Recommended Readings and Papers for the International Commons Conference
- Wiki with Papers, Proposals and Conference Documentation
- Imagining a traditional Knowledge Commons
A community approach to sharing traditional knowledge for non-commercial research
Download PDF (29 pages, 700KByte)
- Spaces for the poor
Working with Communities and Commonslands in Central Aravalis, Rajastan
Download PDF (37 pages, 1MB)
- Preparatory Note for the IASC Conference
Preparatory Plans for a ‘Commons Initiative’ to host the International Biennial Conference on Commons 2011, Foundation for Ecological Security, India
- Graphic: Common Property
- Defending the Global Commons
Read at wholeearth.com
Policy Proposals by TopicIntroduction and Generalities
- Developing the Meta Services for the Eco-Social Economy, draft proposed by Feasta writers, Ireland/UK
- Framework for Augmenting the Collective Intelligence of the Ecosystem of Commons-based Initiatives, George Por, Community Intelligence
- Infrastructural Commons for Sustainability, edited by Emer O'Siochru and David Korowitz. EENGO Submission to the (Irish) National Sustainable Development Strategy. Final Report January 2008.
- Securing the Commons. By Ruth Meinzen-Dick, Esther Mwangi, and Stephan Dohrn. CAPRi Policy Brief 4. 
- Giovanna Ricoveri: Commons vs Commodities. Paper by Giovanna Ricoveri for the 13th Biennial Conference of the International Association for the Study of the Commons (IASC), “Sustaining Commons: Sustaining our Future” 10-14 Jan. 2011, Hyderabad, India.
- Hazel Henderson, Defending the Global Commons
On the Economy of the Commons:
- Pierre Calame: Different Categories of Goods and Services and their Systems of Governance [ http://bases.basedefiches.net:8080/ire/docs/chapitre2.2.pdf]
Topics and Policy DomainsCommons Governance
- Workshop notes provided by Dr. Stephan Krall: The Commons and their Governance as paradigm for the 21st century.
- The Commons Law Project (CLP), dedicated to reinventing the law and governance of the ecological commons and thereby operationalize the human right to a clean, healthy, ecologically balanced, and sustainable environment. A project by Weston H. Burns and David Bollier
- “Charter for Innovation, Creativity and Access to Knowledge” (http://www.fcforum.net). The Charter was signed by more than 200 international organizations and used in policy making at the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), the European Council of Ministers of Culture, and the Spanish Law for Sustainable Culture, among others.
- Constructing Commons in the Cultural Environment (Michael Madison, Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg)95 Cornell L. Rev. 657 (2010) http://ssrn.com/abstract=1265793 and a collection of papers discussing that work at http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/research/cornell-law-review/Volume-95-Number-4.cfm
- The Complexity of Commons (Michael Madison, Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg)95 Cornell L. Rev. 839 (2010) http://ssrn.com/abstract=1607701
- The University as Constructed Cultural Commons (Michael Madison, Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg)30 Wash. U. J. Law & Pol’y 365 (2009) http://ssrn.com/abstract=1256090
- Internet & Création: comment reconnaître les échanges sur internet en finançant la création, Philippe Aigrain, InLibroVeritas, 2008
- La culture en communs, Entretien de Philippe Aigrain avec Aude Delalande, Philippe Mangeot et Victoire Patouillard], Vacarme, 81, 2010
- Ethical foundation of knowledge as a common. Rainer Kuhlen. Preprint Vortrag Seoul 8.10.2010 (text: http://bit.ly/b85rUO)
- Towards a commons-based copyright. Rainer Kuhlen. IFLA World Conference Gothenburg 14.8.2010 (PP: http://bit.ly/9aa3Zg)
- Report: Imagining a Traditional Knowledge Commons. A community approach to sharing traditional knowledge for non-commercial research. Natural Justice and IDLO, 2009. By Elan Abrell et al. 
- Report: - Implementing a Traditional Knowledge Commons. Opportunities and Challenges. Developments following the Traditional Knowledge Commons Workshop, December 2009, Cape Town, South Africa. Natural Justice, 2010.
- Open Consultation on the Brazilian Copyright Reform Proposal - English version
- Reserva Cultural ("Cultural Reserve"), a community-based project for sharing of cultural works, in São Paulo: http://www.gpopai.usp.br/wiki/index.php/Reserva>, video
- Volker Grassmuch: A Copyright Exception for Monetizing File-Sharing. A proposal for balancing user freedom and author remuneration in the Brazilian copyright law reform, 19. März 2010, http://www.vgrass.de/?p=193
- Krikorian G. (2009), The politics of patents: conditions of implementation of public health policy in Thailand. In S. Haunss and K. C. Shadlen (éd.), The Politics of Intellectual Property: Contestation over the Ownership, Use, and Control of Knowledge and Information (Edward Elgar, UK), 29-55.
- Krikorian G. (2009), New trends in IP protection and health issues in FTA negotiations. In B. Coriat (éd.), The Political Economy of HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries. TRIPS, Public Health Systems and Free Access (Edward Elgar, UK) 52-77.
- Krikorian G. & Szymkowiak D. (2007), Intellectual property rights in the making: the evolution of intellectual property. Provisions in US free trade agreements and access to medicine. The journal of world intellectual property, 10 (5), 388-418.
Earth and Climate Commons
- Cap and Share: A Fair Way to Cut Greenhouse Emissions , written by members of Feasta, Ireland/UK.
- Global Climate Trust, written by members of Feasta, Ireland/UK
- The Viable Systems Model and Climate Governance; written by members of Feasta, Ireland/UK
- Against Ecological and Information Enclosures : Towards a Convergence of “Commons”. A Note on a Workshop in New Delhi, December 13 2007’. Jai Sen (Cacim 2008) 
- “Cllimate Change and Intergenerational Justice: Foundational Reflections,” 9 Vermont Journal of Environmental Law 375 (2009). Weston H. Burns
Currency or Monetary Commons
- Liquidity Network : Mutual credit commons written by members of Feasta, Ireland/UK
- Intervention by Margrit Kennedy, Ludwig Schuster: Sustainable Financial Markets as a Global Commons
- Stefan Meretz on the question of transition and the role of open money: http://www.keimform.de/2009/the-question-of-transition-and-the-role-of-money/
- Podcast interview with Thomas H. Greco, Jr. on the Credit Commons 
- Text: Transforming Finance Group's Call Recognizes Finance as a Global Commons
- Developing the Meta Services for the Eco-Social Economy, draft written by members of Feasta, Ireland/UK
- Applying abundance to cities, http://shareable.net/blog/how-to-create-abundant-cities, by Wolfgang Hoeschele
Land, Food and Water Commons
- Food and Water Watch, USA, represented by Maude Barlow
- Land Value Tax, written by members of Feasta, Ireland/UK
- Biting the Bullet: How to Secure Access to Drylands Resources for Multiple Users. By Esther Mwangi and Stephan Dohrn. CAPRi Working Paper 47. 
CCRI website has links to the IASC conference and the 8 National Seminars,
- with 8th seminar on Common Land, http://www.ccri.ac.uk/Events/8thseminarcommonland.htm
- the 'heritage and landscape' category, e.g. http://www.ccri.ac.uk/Projects/HeritageandLandscape/Current/Assessingdevelopingprinciplesdeliverynationalbiodiversitytargets.htm
- Jean Pierre Leroy's chapter about territorial management by Amazonian communities, in the book Genes, Bytes and Emissions  in Spanish
- the Commons Act 2006. Text of the law is at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/26/pdfs/ukpga_20060026_en.pdf
- legal aspects of common land approach in the UK at DEFRA: http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/protected/commonland/index.htm
- Useful summary on common land in England and Wales: see http://www.naturenet.net/law/commonland.html
- Examples of local councils: the Federation to Cumbria Commoners and the Dartmoor Commons Council.
- OSS (Open Spaces Society) either: http://www.oss.org.uk/
- Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities 
- Berlin 8 Open Access Conference 
- Coalition for Action "Copyright for Education and Research" 
Peer to Peer Urbanism
- Emer O'Siochru on Reclaiming the Commons  : addresses destruction of 'the commons' - the vital but undefined resources that sustain life and civilisation that are under threat form the current system. It offered ideas about how they can be redefined, given legal protection within the market economy
- Dan Sullivan on the Land Value Tax as a Community Development Tool